Welcome to The Daves, my annual, Oscar-style review of the
year’s best movies and actors. My choices, in ranked order, are:
Rank
|
Dave’s
Choice
|
1
|
Gravity
|
2
|
August: Osage County*
|
3
|
Philomena
|
4
|
Dallas Buyers Club
|
5
|
Captain Phillips
|
6
|
American Hustle
|
7
|
Blue Jasmine*
|
8
|
12 Years A Slave
|
9
|
American Hustle
|
10
|
The Wolf of Wall Street
|
NR
|
Her**
|
*Not an Oscar Nominee
|
|
**Have not seen yet
|
I think it’s a travesty that August: Osage County was not an Oscars Best
Picture nominee. This is a fantastic movie that I believe should have won the
Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay even though it was not nominated in that
category either. I’ll gush more about this movie when we get to the acting
awards. For now let’s focus on Gravity.
Normally I’m not much on special effects. I like movies that
are driven by interesting, well-told stories that require great acting. In
other words, “real” movies about “real” things that could realistically happen
to “real” people. As it turns out Gravity is plenty realistic and the awesome special
effects make that possible.
Of course, before I saw the movie I had heard all of the
hype about the clever special effects. But the interesting thing is that, from
the very first scene to the very last, I didn’t think about those special
effects as I watched the movie. Instead I fell comfortably into the story of two astronauts
dealing with a crisis while in earth orbit. The special effects were so good I didn’t notice them. Instead they unobtrusively built a platform that
allowed two talented actors to tell a simple but compelling tale
of adventure and high drama. Gravity is a wonderful, crisp, exciting, highly-entertaining
movie that is greatly enhanced by the use of ingenious, yet unobtrusive,
special effects. It is everything a movie is supposed to be.
I have several gripes about 12 Years A Slave, including the absurd
depiction of a Black family in 1840s New York living as the equals of their White
neighbors. It is also unrealistic to suggest that a woman of any color during
that time – much less a Black woman – would have been able to maintain a nice house like the Northrup’s had for 12 years without the presence of (and income from) a husband. Other incongruities that bothered me include the lack of insects
in the Louisiana swamps and the relatively pristine conditions of the slave
quarters. Basically, the life of free Blacks in this era was a helluva lot
worse than this movie suggested and the life of slaves in the South was, at the
very least, marginally worse than depicted. The acting was good, but not great.
The story was compelling, but not particularly well-told. It was a decent movie
that shone some much-needed light on the darkest chapter of
American history. But it was not the Best Picture of 2014, not even close.
In addition to Gravity, Osage County, Philomena and Dallas Buyers Club were all compelling,
well-told stories that were superbly acted and each of them would have been far
more deserving of the Oscar than 12 Years. While not Oscar-worthy Captain Phillips definitely deserved one
of the ten Oscar nomination slots.
The acting in American Hustle was top-shelf, of course. But
there was something about this movie that just did not seem to flow quite right.
While I had no complaints about the revealing outfits worn by Amy Adams and
Jennifer Lawrence, they just seemed to be a bit too much (or, should I say, too
little). In general, the whole 70s shtik was overplayed.
As for Wolf of Wall Street I have only one question; what
the #@*% was Scorsese thinking? DiCaprio and Hill did some fine acting but
their efforts were swallowed up in the excessiveness of this movie.
(Note: Her has not released yet on Netflix and I likely won’t get around to watching it
until sometime this fall.)
Now for the acting awards.
Rank
|
Actor
|
Movie
|
1
|
Mathew McConaughey
|
Dallas Buyers Club
|
2
|
Leonardo DiCaprio
|
The Wolf of Wall Street
|
3
|
Christian Bale
|
American Hustle
|
4
|
Tom Hanks*
|
Captain Phillips
|
5
|
Chiwetel Ejiofor
|
12 Years A Slave
|
6
|
Bruce Dern
|
Nebraska
|
For me, this was a no-brainer. McConaughey was fantastic and
his Oscar acceptance speech was one of the best ever. All right, all right, all
right. You’ve come a long way Wooderson. Congratulations! My only quibble with
the Oscars in this category is that I think Tom Hanks was more deserving of a
nomination than Bruce Dern.
Rank
|
Actress
|
Movie
|
1
|
Cate Blanchette
|
Blue Jasmine
|
2
|
Judi Dench
|
Philomena
|
3
|
Meryl Streep
|
August: Osage County
|
4
|
Sandra Bullock
|
Gravity
|
5
|
Amy Adams
|
American Hustle
|
OMG, what a lineup! Blanchette, Dench and Streep all deserved
Oscars for their superb performances. In each case, the characters they played
seemed to literally inhabit their bodies. This was acting at the very highest
level, in demanding roles, in movies that ranged from good (Blue Jasmine) to
compelling (Osage County). It just doesn’t get any better than this.
Rank
|
Supporting
Actor
|
Movie
|
1
|
Jared Leto
|
Dallas Buyers Club
|
2
|
Barkhad Abdi
|
Captain Phillips
|
3
|
Jonah Hill
|
The Wolf of Wall Street
|
4
|
Chris Cooper*
|
August: Osage County
|
5
|
Bradley Cooper
|
American Hustle
|
6
|
Michael Fassbender
|
12 Years A Slave
|
Leto’s portrayal of a transvestite was disturbingly
realistic; truly an awesome performance. Abdi may have been typecast as a
Somali pirate but he carried it off beautifully in a role that was crucial to
the film’s storyline. My only quibble with the Oscars in this category is that,
even though Fassbender was very good in his important role as Edwin Epps, the
demented plantation owner, I think Cooper was more deserving of a nomination
for his equally important role as the decent but naïve Charles Aiken.
Rank
|
Supporting
Actress
|
Movie
|
1
|
Sally Hawkins
|
Blue Jasmine
|
2
|
Julia Roberts
|
August: Osage County
|
3
|
Jennifer Lawrence
|
American Hustle
|
4
|
Julianne Nicholson*
|
August: Osage County
|
5
|
Margo Martindale*
|
August: Osage County
|
6
|
Lupita Nyong'o
|
12 Years A Slave
|
7
|
June Squibb
|
Nebraska
|
This is the category where I have the most profound disagreement with the choices of the Academy of Motion
Picture Arts and Sciences.
First of all Lupita Nyong’o’s portrayal of Patsey the slave
was good, especially for a newcomer. I’m not trying to knock her, but given the
competition I don’t think she deserved one of the five nominations in this
category, much less the Oscar.
In my opinion there were, at least, three actresses in
Osage County that deserved nominations for their supporting roles. One of the
several reasons that this movie was so fantastic was the absolutely spot-on
casting. Every actor was perfect for the role in which they were cast and each played
their part beautifully.
Jennifer Lawrence was electrifying in her role as Rosalyn Rosenfeld. In every role that
she has played that I can recall she literally jumps off the screen and absolutely
owns her part. And that was definitely the case in Hustle. She has a seemingly effortless commanding presence on the big screen and that was certainly the case once again with her
performance in Hustle. She is the Meryl Streep of her generation. And the kiss
she planted on Amy Adams? Awesome!
Yet, despite all of my fawning over JLaw, there were only
two real contenders for this award.
Julia Roberts portrayal of Barbara Weston and her interplay
with her mother (Violet Weston played by Meryl Streep) and Sally Hawkins
portrayal of Jasmine’s (played by Cate Blanchette) sister Ginger were crucial
to the story lines of their respective movies and to the outstanding
performances of Streep and Blanchette in their leading roles. The parts of
Barbara and Ginger are classic supporting roles and Roberts and Hawkins played
them flawlessly. Both were very deserving of the Oscar and I chose Hawkins over Roberts by the slimmest of margins. It is a travesty that one of these two did
not win the Oscar.
My choice for Original Screenplay is Buyers Club but I note
that the Oscar choice was Her, a movie I have not seen.
No comments:
Post a Comment