Friday, January 8, 2016

My Predictions For 2016



Democratic Nominee: Clinton
This seems like a safe bet.

Republican Nominee: Cruz.
There are several plausible alternatives, but at this point Cruz winning seems more plausible than any of the several other plausible possibilities.

President: Clinton.
I’m guessing the state-by-state outcomes will mirror the last two elections. If so it seems like an uphill battle for Republicans that will hinge on Florida. The Republican primary rhetoric and attention on Trump can’t be helping.

College Football National Champion: Alabama.
Clemson has surprised me by getting this far and I won’t be too surprised if they surprise me one more time.

NFC Champion: Seattle.
To pull this off the Seahawks will have to win this week in frozen Minnesota, (most likely) beat a very solid, rested Carolina team on the road, and then (most likely) a great Arizona team, also on the road. It will not be a great shock to see Arizona or Carolina in the Super Bowl.

AFC Champion: New England.
No team in the AFC, except maybe Houston, would surprise me too much by making it to the Super Bowl. All have problems and questions, but all have great potential. Basically, I’m betting that New England will heal up during the bye week, get several key players back in the lineup and exploit the considerable weaknesses in the other AFC teams, most notably Peyton Manning’s arm. But that's a lot of ifs, and New England has plenty of other weaknesses too. If Manning is healthier than I think he will be, it could well be Denver in the Super Bowl. Ditto for Andy Dalton and Cincinnati. Kansas City and Pittsburgh - even Houston - have enticing dark horse appeal. Flip a coin.

Super Bowl Champion: Seattle.
Even if I’m wrong about Seattle, I’m still picking the NFC team; most likely Carolina or Arizona.

No comments:

Post a Comment